Watching television has moved to a new plane. Now it is possible to use various streaming platforms and additional applications. However, the principle of operation of the listed options is similar: users are invited to watch commercials during breaks.
The difference between FAST and AVOD is not immediately apparent. For this reason, there are certain difficulties in making a clear idea. However, to eliminate possible misconceptions and choose the best way of monetization, a careful study of the peculiarities of the channels allows.
Differences between FAST and AVOD
The reasoning for the similarity of the two models boils down to only one characteristic: users don’t pay for advertising, but they watch it. However, when it comes to the differences, there are several things to consider:
- Registration. It is necessary to create a new user account to view AVOD channels. FAST does not require registration.
- Advertising. A feature of the FAST channels is ad inserts, initially prescribed by the algorithms. In addition, the AVOD library includes targeted ads.
- Choice options. Viewers do not have to make any decisions while watching FAST television. As for the second format, the choice is provided.
Due to the subtle differences, the attention to the new format is not too great. However, the choice of format allows one to increase the monetization of advertising and get more interested customers. Therefore, the advantages of a launch a FAST channel and AVOD format are worth considering when planning.
Advantages of business models
An objective assessment of the formats will highlight the advantages of each of them. However, the decision should be based on personal experience of use and the specifics of commercials. Several attractive features motivate you to pay attention to the new FAST format:
- implementation of the model is not inconvenient because it is easier and simpler to perform this task;
- user registration is optional, so there is also no difficulty for viewers;
- linear commercial breaks allow one to increase the number of views and make a profit.
To decide in favor of FAST, one should also consider that the cost of advertising in a linear format is increasing. In addition, the format did not appear long ago, which affects the amount of profit from the introduction. It suggests that the final choice should be made considering possible risks.
The somewhat “outdated” AVOD is in some demand. This type of channel attracts by its reduced price for watching clips. The following aspects can also be added to the list of advantages:
- users decide to watch the ads, including skipping the inserts in advance;
- the ability to “communicate” with a more significant number of potential buyers than in the linear model;
- a chance to make the service free but still profit from advertising.
Choosing the best method is based on the interests of the audience. For example, viewers may get tired of making decisions and just want to enjoy watching the videos. In addition, scheduling ad integrations helps create a comfortable atmosphere for everyone involved in using the service.
How to choose between FAST and AVOD
Choosing the proper methodology takes a long time if you decide not to take a comprehensive approach. To choose FAST, examine your possibilities relatively:
- the available size of the advertising budget;
- the rate of return on investment;
- the comfort of the target users.
Drawing a portrait of the audience will reveal their desires and provide the best experience. To avoid risking funds, you can stop at the proven AVOD methodology. In other cases, the risk is justified because the goal of satisfying the consumer will be achieved.
Andrej Fedek is a digital marketer. He recently started his own blog about digital marketing called InterCool Studio. His passion is to help startups grow and thrive in a competitive environment.